Website Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation
$225,000 over 3 years to support early stage investigators in their first to fourth year tenure-track positions by providing start-up support for basic biomedical (disease-related) research projects that are too preliminary for R01 or other independent funding. Applicants with R01 funding should not apply.
Due date for internal applications: June 12, 2023.
Due date for submission to Mallinckrodt: August 1, 2023.
Previous UCI award recipients
- Cholsoon Jang, 2020, Defining inter-organ metabolic communication in health and cardiovascular disease
- Max Plikus, 2013, Induction of adipose tissue regeneration as the novel anti-fibrotic strategy in wound healing
The Mallinckrodt Foundation program is offered every other year, and the program awarded 7 Investigator grants in 2021.
The mission of the Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation (EMJF) is to support early stage investigators engaged in basic biomedical research that has the potential to advance the understanding, diagnosis or treatment of disease.
EMJF awards $75,000 per year for up to three years, non-renewable. The grants are designed specifically to provide M.D. and/or Ph.D. tenure track faculty members start-up support to move the project forward to the point where R01 or other independent funding can be obtained. EMJF does not support projects that are already under way or are receiving significant grant support, nor does it provide funding beyond the initial three-year award.
Internal Application Procedure
UCI may forward one nomination. Therefore, interested applicants are asked to submit a preliminary application via the UCI Review system by Monday June 12, 2023 with the following information:
- Brief proposal (2 pages in 12 pt Times New Roman or Arial, 1” margins):
- Hypothesis or idea for research and how it fits the goal of the program described above.
- Overview written for a well-educated lay audience. Include summary of the goals, any pilot studies or data already in hand, and the unique aspects of your project and its significance.
- Aims and Objectives: brief descriptions of the milestones you expect over the funding period.
- Methodology: briefly describe your approach – “how” not just “what” you will do.
- Budget Overview (Up to 1 page): A basic budget outlining project costs is sufficient at this stage.
- NIH Style Biosketch
An ad hoc committee will review internal applications. The selected nominee will be notified by July 2, 2023.
More information about this funding opportunity may be found, at, https://emallinckrodtfoundation.org/guidelines.
To apply for this opportunity please visit uci.infoready4.com.