Website National Science Foundation (NSF)
NSF – National Artificial Intelligence (AI) Research Institutes Artificial Intelligence (AI) has advanced tremendously and today promises personalized healthcare; enhanced national security; improved transportation; and more effective education, to name just a few benefits. Increased computing power, the availability of large datasets and streaming data, and algorithmic advances in machine learning (ML) have made it possible for AI research and development to create new sectors of the economy and revitalize industries. Continued advancement, enabled by sustained federal investment and channeled toward issues of national importance, holds the potential for further economic impact and quality-of-life improvements.
The 2019 update to the National Artificial Intelligence Research and Development Strategic Plan, informed by visioning activities in the scientific community as well as interaction with the public, identifies as its first strategic objective the need to make long-term investments in AI research in areas with the potential for long-term payoffs in AI. The National AI Research Institutes program enables longer-term research and U.S. leadership in AI through the creation of AI Research Institutes. The program invites proposals in any of the following themes: •
- Theme 1: Intelligent Agents for Next-Generation Cybersecurity
- Theme 2: Neural and Cognitive Foundations of Artificial Intelligence
- Theme 3: AI for Climate-Smart Agriculture and Forestry
- Theme 4: AI for Decision making
- Theme 5: Trustworthy AI
- Theme 6: AI-Augmented Learning to Expand Education Opportunities and Improve Outcomes
Internal Review Process
UCI may submit only two applications as lead institution in response to this call, therefore interested applicants wishing to apply for the January 14, 2022 preliminary proposal deadline are asked to submit an application via the UCI Review Application portal by Friday, October 29, 2021 with the following information:
- Project summary (1 page, consistent with NSF’s guidelines for this program announcement) — please be sure to indicate which of the 6 themes the proposal is targeting.
- In addition to the above summary please provide answers for the following points (taken from the supplemental merit review criteria specific to this call). Answers should be provided point-by-point and as brief as possible:
- Explain how the proposed Institute will contribute new knowledge or methods toward understanding of the mechanisms underlying thought and intelligent behavior and their implementation in machines?
- Explain how the proposed Institute will leverage the use-inspired research context to both advance AI and drive innovations in related sectors of science and engineering, segments of the economy, or societal needs?
- Explain how the proposed Institute will actively nurture and grow the next generation of talent for a diverse, well-trained workforce.
- Explain to what extent the proposed Institute activity is comprised of a multidisciplinary group of scientists, engineers, and educators appropriate to the project.
- Explain how the proposed Institute leverages multiple organizations to create significant new research capabilities in new centers of AI leadership and create a network for broadening participation from underrepresented groups and diverse institutions.
- Explain how the proposed Institute activity will serve as a nexus point for collaborative efforts meaningfully integrated into a diverse Institute that is more than just the sum of the parts.
- NSF Style Biosketches of the PI and any Co–PIs, along with a list (Name, title, organization, department) of other major participants.
If necessary, an ad hoc committee will be convened to review the internal applications. The selected PIs will be notified in ample time to meet the NSF preliminary proposal deadline of January 14, 2022. More information about this award opportunity may be found at https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2022/nsf22502/nsf22502.htm
Questions about our internal campus review process may be directed to Mike Gallo at firstname.lastname@example.org or x4-3752.
To apply for this opportunity please visit uci.infoready4.com.