Website Ono Pharma Foundation
The Ono Pharma Foundation was established to support academic research in relevant scientific fields, which have the potential of making significant impact on therapeutic approaches to disease and pain management.
Program Funding Priorities
In 2020 the Ono Pharma Foundation will only consider proposals for scientific research projects addressing Chemical Biology Research – Defined as research that deals with the interface between chemistry and biology. The criteria for this field are deliberately broad so as not to disqualify potentially innovative and groundbreaking projects.
A project duration may last up to three years with annual funding of $300,000/year, totaling a maximum of $900,000 for the normal term of a research project (plus up to 15% indirect for a total award amount of $1,035,000). Three awards will be granted in 2021 from a total of 108 expected applications.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- The PI must have a MD and/or a PhD degree.
- The PI must be a “young” and/or mid-career scientist (15 years or below of experience from starting independent academic position).
- The PI may not already be engaged in other sponsored research with Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and/or grant program with Ono Pharma Foundation.
- The PI may not apply for funding to amplify current work. However, PIs may research a new idea based on their prior findings.
Internal Application Process
UCI may submit only two applications for this award opportunity, therefore interested applicants are asked to submit a preliminary application to the Office of Research (via UCI Review), with the following information by Wednesday, January 6, 2021:
- A 1-1/2 page research statement outlining the vision of the proposed research. Proposal should include innovative basic or translational chemical biology research that could lead to the development of breakthrough treatment solutions for patients (consistent with the LOI instructions for the foundation -see link below).
- NIH Style Biosketch
Following receipt of the internal applications, an ad hoc committee will be convened to review the proposals. The selected two candidates will be notified in time to meet the February 18, 2021 LOI deadline. Full proposals will be invited by Ono Pharma Foundation on April 22, 2021.
For an overview of the program, including the complete guidelines, please viist https://www.research.uci.edu/zotmail/program-information-overview-2021.pdf.
Questions about our internal campus review process may be directed to
Director of Research Development, Mike Gallo at firstname.lastname@example.org or x-3752